Providing Better Smiles to Calgary & nearby areas of Alberta
Calgary TMJ TreatmentThere are a number of treatment options available for relieving the painful symptoms of temporomandibular joint disorder (often abbreviated as TMJ or TMD).
Because TMJ/TMD can be caused by a number of factors including bite conditions, teeth spacing problems and jaw alignment issues, choosing the right treatment option for you requires an accurate TMJ/TMD diagnosis. Using the principles of neuromuscular dentistry, Calgary dentist Dr. Jennifer Silver will determine the source of your discomfort and recommend a custom treatment plan to correct your unique condition and relieve your pain.
Employing K7 EMG technology, Jaw Tracking and TEN’s (Transcutaneous Electrical Stimulation to relax your jaw muscles and neck/shoulder muscles, Dr. Silver will assess your bite and locate your jaw’s natural, comfortable resting position.
Depending on the specifics and severity of your condition, TMJ/TMD treatment may include:
- Examination and potential postural correction with our NUCCA trained chiropractor
- Coronoplasty- Re shaping the teeth to improve the fit and create a more balanced bite
- Using an oral appliance to promote bite stabilization and jaw alignment
- Using braces or Invisalign to correct a bite condition
- Undergoing bite reconstruction to treat severe teeth alignment problems. With this option we can also correct very poor aesthetics at the same time
The causes and symptoms of TMJ/TMD vary widely among patients, and there is no single solution ideally suited to every person who suffers from TMJ/TMD. It’s important to undergo a thorough exam in order to find the best TMJ/TMD treatment option for you.
For more information about TMJ/TMD and the field of neuromuscular dental treatment, please see our TMJ/TMD Questions page.
If you would like to learn more about TMJ/TMD diagnosis and treatment, please contact the Southcentre Dental Clinic to schedule your personal consultation with Calgary, Alberta, dentist Dr. Jennifer Silver.