Dr. Jennifer Silver and our team promote the practice of comprehensive dental care. Our philosophy is based on the importance of maintaining good home hygiene practices as well as seeking regular, professional dental care. Both aspects are necessary to keep your teeth and gums in the best shape possible. We also believe that preventative dental care is the best medicine — that’s why we teach our Calgary patients the benefits of home and professional care starting at a young age. If it’s time to schedule an appointment for teeth cleaning in Calgary, then we invite you to contact our office right away.
Each patient receives a periodontal screening examination, but we also get to know your home care habits, as well. We feel that if we can help you create and maintain a regular routine that works for you, you may be able to avoid many of the pitfalls that ignoring your teeth and gums can cause. Not only do you receive quality care in the dental chair, but we also provide information to support healthy habits and good dental hygiene in Calgary.
What to Expect During a Dental Cleaning & Exam?
When you contact our team at Southcentre Dental to schedule an appointment for a dental cleaning in Calgary, we provide a two-fold service during your visit. Not only will our experienced hygienists clean and polish your teeth, but this visit is also a time where we can look for potential signs of tooth decay or gum disease.
Visiting the dentist every six months is one of the best things that you can do to protect your dental health. When small dental concerns are identified in the early stages, then minimally-invasive treatments can be used to avoid bigger problems in the future. We take a proactive approach by recommending preventive treatments whenever possible, helping you preserve the structure and health of your natural teeth.
We use a gentle, caring approach for your dental cleaning in Calgary. Our hygienists use the best tools and techniques to thoroughly clean your teeth, while ensuring your comfort in the dental chair.
At-Home Dental Hygiene Habits
We encourage consistency with your appointments with us for teeth cleaning in Calgary. At the same time, your habits at home will have the most impact on your long-term dental health. Here are the top tips that everyone should practice at home to maintain great dental hygiene in Calgary:
- Brush twice a day. Most people choose to brush in the morning after eating breakfast, and again at night before dinner.
- Never go to sleep without brushing your teeth. Germs collect in your mouth throughout the day. Brushing before bed helps to remove the problem-causing bacteria that leads to tooth decay and gum disease.
- Learn proper brushing techniques. At Southcentre Dental, our goal is to provide a detailed education for every patient about dental hygiene in Calgary. We’ll show you the right techniques that should be used, such as moving the toothbrush in circular, gentle motions to reach all surfaces of the teeth.
- Don’t forget to floss! Brushing removes the bacteria and plaque from the main surface areas of your teeth, but food and decay-causing compounds can collect between the teeth. Daily flossing is one of the best things you can do to reduce the risk of gum disease.
- Choose a quality toothpaste with fluoride. This ingredient is the leading defense for preventing tooth decay, helping to strengthen your teeth to make them resistant against cavities.
- Use the right dental tools. The right toothbrush and quality floss can go a long way to make your brushing and flossing more comfortable and effective. If you find it challenging to use standard dental floss, consider ready-to-use dental flossers that make it easier to reach the back areas near your molars.
- Consider your diet. The food and drinks that are consumed throughout the day can play a role in your overall dental health. If you frequently choose sugary treats and sodas, then the sugar increases the activity of bacteria in your mouth… which can increase the risk of tooth decay. It’s ok to have a sweet treat occasionally, but make sure to brush your teeth after you are done eating.
Pairing these at-home practices with regular appointments for teeth cleaning in Calgary is essential if you want to protect your smile. These dental care habits will protect your teeth and gums for years to come.
Prevention: The Best Medicine
At Southcentre Dental Clinic, our dentistry team teaches the advantages of very specific hygiene practices, including regular brushing with electric, soft-bristled tooth brushes, non-abrasive toothpaste, and proper flossing techniques.
In many cases, home hygiene is insufficient to prevent periodontal disease. If you have swollen or bleeding gums you may have periodontal disease (gum disease). Unfortunately periodontal disease can be very destructive to your oral health not to mention your general health. Periodontal disease is essentially the breakdown of the body structures that support your teeth and gums. Many of us are familiar with the term gingivitis the initial stage of this disease.
The Threat of Gum Disease
Gum disease is the most common cause of tooth loss today. Even more frightening is the fact that the majority of gum disease sufferers have no idea that they are experiencing the negative effects of gum disease and the resultant jaw bone infection.
Signs of gum disease or other tooth problems:
If you notice any of the above dental issues, contact Southcentre today for a dentistry consultation.
The sooner your gum tissue and supporting bone is treated with hygiene therapy by our hygienist the better. Not only does periodontal disease damage your teeth and supporting structures, it may place a person at more risk for complications related to diabetes and heart disease.
Gingivitis and periodontitis are chronic bacterial infections of the body and should be treated as such.
Our hygienists Charissa and Yvonne customize the treatment of your “gum tissue” to you. The traditional 6-month “cleaning” does not work for all people. We are all different and the response of our teeth and gums to the bacteria build up (plaque/tarter) is very different.
As part of our soft tissue program we use therapy techniques which include the use of micro-ultrasonic scalers (much more gentle than the traditional scraping) and diode lasers.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Experienced Team
Is it time to schedule an appointment for a dental cleaning in Calgary? Our team at Southcentre Dental is here to assist.
See how great hygiene and cosmetic dental treatments can work together to create and maintain a beautiful smile for life: A beautiful smile requires a commitment to excellent dental hygiene and oral health. To learn more about getting a new smile — and how to keep your smile in shape — please contact our team at Southcentre Dental Clinic in Calgary, Alberta today.