Providing Better Smiles to Calgary & nearby areas of Alberta
Tongue tie (otherwise known as ankyloglossia) is when the tip of the tongue is anchored to the floor of the mouth.
There are varying degrees of a tongue tie in which some will require attention from a practitioner while some will not. A Tongue tie may extend all the way to the tip or it may extend partially to the tip resulting in a partial tongue tie. There is also a condition called posterior tongue tie in which the tongue tie is hidden under the tongue lining.
Challenges a person with a tongue tie may face include:
- Speech issues
- Incorrect swallowing patterns due to tongue ties can give rise to various types of malocclusion
- Pain in the jaws
- TMJ & Chronic Head and Neck Pain
- Crowded teeth
- Protrusion of the lower jaws, inferior prognathism
- Posture can be influenced by a short lingual fraenum
- a tendency to have inflamed gums, and increased need for fillings and extractions
- Sensitivity about personal appearance
- Tongue tie in the elderly often makes it difficult to keep a denture in place
It is never too late for a person to have their tongue-tie released. The benefits for some people can be life changing and well worth the time and effort. If you suffer from any of these symptoms and suspect you have a tongue tie please contact our Calgary office for an evaluation.